We will be rolling out a feature this week that will make the addition of the credit and source mandatory when uploading an image. The basis for this update is driven by current syndication partner requirements, as well as some instances of copyright complaints which this will help to avoid in the future.
How it works:
When you add any image into the CMS, rather than having the “Edit Image Credit and Caption” tool be optional, it will now automatically load after the image appears. Until you choose an image source, type, and credit you will not be able to publish your post and will receive an error.
(1) Upload an image, click to position, then click the yellow “add image credit, source and caption” link on the lower left of the image.
(2) You will see a “Select Image Source” drop down with the following values:
- Associated Press (AP)
- Fair Use*
- Getty Images
- iStock by Getty Images
- In-House Art
* Screenshots should be included under Fair Use only if they are a shot from a video clip, not if they are taken from still images.
** If the source you are using permits syndication you must slide the syndication setting to the right (on) position. Note that not having image rights may hurt the chances of this piece of content from getting page views via syndication.
(3) After inputting source, type and credit, hit save.
(4) The caption will appear on the lower left in light grey, you can click to edit.
- We are working on a bug that will erase the image rights if you crop the image after entering them, prompting you to re-enter. Until this is fixed, please note to enter rights info after resizing or cropping the image.
- The ability to bulk edit images has been added in a followup upcoming release. See screenshot below the video.